Sustainable Lifestyle Carnival @ ‘Karnival Gaya Hidup Lestari ‘(KGHL) was successfully organized by RCE Penang and Regional Sejahtera Education for Sustainable Development Network (RSEN) by gathering all RSEN members to share their expertise, ideas and new initiatives in promoting a sustainable living lifestyle.
The Sustainable Lifestyle Carnival was officiated by the Deputy of Health Ministry, Yang Berhormat Dato’ Seri Dr Hilmi bin Yahya in Universiti Sains Malaysia and was opened to public through various activities such as exhibition of RSEN members work, free health screening, blood donation, futsal, cooking , colouring, and short video competition. An exhibition was held by Kelab Sejahtera from selected schools who have been champions in sustainability and environmental issues to share their sustainability projects to the public. Webinar on ‘Engaging Youth in Critical Thinking and Problem Solving’ was also organized. Other than that, the carnival also held Sharing Sessions with the local community by invited speakers and RSEN members
The Sharing Sessions was divided into 5 sessions which is:
- ‘Importance of Sustainability of Ecosystems’ by the Penang Director of Environment, Madam Norhayati Binti Yahaya
- ‘Water Security’ by Humid Tropic Centre
- ‘Kitchen Waste Composting’ from Seberang Perai Municipal Council representative, Mr Chew Eng Seng
- ‘Live on with Vape’ by Associate Professor Abdul Razak Lajis, Director of National Poison Centre, Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- ‘Permaculture Farm’ by Madam Aini Zakaria.
- ‘Basic Gardening Workshop and Demonstration’ by Mr Wan Zaharin from Universiti Sains Malaysia Development Office.
Other activities are Regional Sustainable Education Network (RSEN) Walk, Zumba/Aerobic and Tai Chi exercise. Participants were encouraged to bring their own reusable bottle to drink.
According to YB Dato’ Seri Dr Hilmi bin Yahya, sustainable lifestyle will only remain a dream without any effort by the society. It requires lifelong commitment from all levels in our society as demonstrated by SEN. From experience, we can learn, try, and creatively explores different ways to practice a sustainable lifestyle. Despite the news on global warming and spreading of chronic illness, there are alternatives and initiative that can collectively do together to overcome the challenges.